Friday, October 25, 2013

Fall Bulletin Board: Pumpkins and Owls

Here are pictures of my completed fall themed bulletin board. It contains Owls from my first graders (idea borrowed from here) and Pumpkins from my second graders. The owls were created by using circle tracers, chalk pastels, white and black liquid tempera paint, sponges, and paint brushes! The pumpkins were created with chalk pastels.


I created this handout to guide my second graders after the demonstration. I'll scan in the sheet soon and add a downloadable version!

Here are some pictures of the finished bulletin board. I've received a lot of compliments so far :)








2 comments:

  1. I LOVE this bulletin board. I have just sat here and tried to draw a pumpkin your way, and I think I finally have it! :) I would love a little more direction about how to create the owls...they look fantastic together! Thank you for sharing.
    mmurray@conejousd.org

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. On day one we used cardboard circles (I inherited them when I got my room so I do not know where to get them..but you can just cut some from tagboard) to trace a circle in the top-ish middle of the paper. I used chalk pastels to trace around the outside of the circle then blended it outwards to create an eerie glow. I gave the students small sponge brushes to line inside of the circle with white tempera paint and then they got a small piece of a sponge (that I had cut up) to sponge paint the inside of the circle. They were told not to overdo it, you want a little of the black paper to show through. They were told to go over the line of paint on the edge to cover up as much as they could so it was all textured. On day two they received an owl tracer to trace inside of the moon. They drew the eyes and planned out a single branch with pencil and then they got to move on to the black tempera!

      Delete